Monday 25 November 2013

Day 72: Let's Make Some Great Art by Marion Deuchars



Books like these inspire me because I can't draw to save my life and it's a skill I would love to have. But I do wonder, do books like these actually inspire anyone? I guess it depends on the quality of the content right. Unfortunately we can't just flip through this one and make a call.* But judging from this cover I'm sold.

I'm sold on three equal parts: the colour of the background, the typography, and the illustrated bird. According to colour psychology, blue is the colour of the intellectual. All "how-to" authors should take note. If you want readers to choose your book, appeal to their intellect. Typography is also important, especially when it comes to design and art themed books. Without knowing it, the reader can easily be put off or attracted to how a word looks. Hence serif and sans-serif both have their pros and cons.

Last but not least, I would like to know how to draw the tiny, snowy bird in the bottom right corner. There's nothing better than being able to draw an animal. Actually there is one thing that's better. That's being able to draw an animal that's recognised by others.

No props to Mona, she already got enough.

*Hence blog title.

No comments:

Post a Comment