Sunday 27 October 2013

Day 43: Into The Child by Shannon Bradley-Colleary



This title packs a punch. Probably because I'm 24 years old and nowhere near having children. Is that sad? I have friends having kids and I'm literally over here watching Will & Grace re-runs in bed. What.

The words, "child," "gestational," and "wilderness," in the same sentence doesn't really bring it home for me. And we all know 40 weeks means 9 months. Let's not try and get tricky about it. Let's not make the pregnant reader think more than they need to. Isn't being pregnant enough for you.

I do appreciate the difference in cover than one would usually see when browsing traditional pregnancy-themed self-help books. It's definitely a step-up from your traditional cartoon drawn Father, Mother, Baby triangle. Although, isn't it a bit offensive. She's pregnant and wearing a mask, like she needs to hide it. Just because pregnancy turns your cheerful, delightful and even-tempered partner into the devil's right-hand man, doesn't mean we need to go about advertising it. Right? Or do we? Do I need to trick someone into having a child with me? Is that how this works?

Please don't send me hate mail about how you think I'm unappreciative of pregnancy, and pregnant woman, and the miracle of childbirth. I get it. I hope to look back at this and laugh at how stupid I was.

I'm flattering myself in the above comment. I only have one follower.

No comments:

Post a Comment