Saturday 26 October 2013

Day 42: The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever: Asshole Leper Hero by Stephen R. Donaldson



I know that all I'm supposed to be doing is judging the cover of books and not what's inside them, but damn son! The title has got me like oh my god i'm so in love I've found you finally you make me wanna go oh oh... (Usher ft. Will.I.Am., 2010). Especially since I googled the premise and I really like what I see. Oops. What is even better is coming across the comments people leave in the comment section, providing there is one. And I've stumbled across some beauties:

"This series is somewhat infamous: it's widely regarded as brilliant (which it is), it's widely considered depressing (which it can be), the hero is often unappealing (which is the point), and many find the trilogy at least 25% too long (which is true). Plus, the follow-on trilogy tells almost the same story with almost the same point to it." (Thanks Seth from San Fran.)

Lol. And:

"...Thomas Covenant is the world's most miserable, gloomy, wretched, irritating, hateful, abhorrent, despicable, contemptible, disheartening, forlorn, self pitying excuse for a (make believe) human being it's ever been my misfortune to read about. (view spoiler) I was pretty much done with him. I read this trilogy with a group of friends so finished them. I'm more careful about what I commit to in group reads now. Do you get the idea? I HATE these books. if you don't, well good for you. But you need a good, really good attitude to read this tomb errr, I mean tome, consisting of Thomas Covenant's self centered misery. Maybe you could consider a therapist????? I reviewed this a while back, but I want to update it. I want to include a quote from Dorothy Parker I've used before: "This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown with great force." (Good day, Mike the Paladin)

And this is probably the best:

"THE FOLLOWING CONTAINS SPOILAGE UP THE YING-YANG." (Cheers Szplug!)

That's not a review but I like it and I hope to one day use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment