Tuesday 17 September 2013

Day 3: The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton


Eleanor Catton is receiving a lot of attention at the moment for The Luminaries. I chose this cover on account of the fact it is at the No. 1 spot of best selling books in New Zealand, and has been, for a good month or so. However, I know absolutely nothing about this book. I don't really do too well with keeping up with the popular tides of New Zealand's book shore.

But, I can judge it's cover perfectly well, and that's the first step.

It doesn't really do too much for my poor, naked eye. Peach conjures connotations of bridesmaid dresses à la '80s and '90s. Vis-à-vis Muriel's Wedding, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, and Four Weddings & a Funeral.

And the woman in the background seems all too familiar. Perhaps, she too, has a pearl earring. Or red hat.

Nevertheless, The Luminaries looks positively enlightening/illuminating/twinkling/glowing/beaming, if somewhat lunatic.


No comments:

Post a Comment