Tuesday 29 October 2013

Day 45 The Shallows: What The Internet Is Doing To Our Brains by Nicholas Carr




I would read this book purely because it has a high chance of making me look smart and intelligent. A higher chance than the tatty copies of the Harry Potter series I lug from home-to-home are gonna give me.

Let's talk colour. Gray, an intermediate colour between black and white, an achromatic, literally without colour. If that doesn't tell you much about my personality then, well, please read on. Gray is the colour that can be most commonly associated with boredom, uncertainty, indifference, and dreariness. And interestingly only a meagre one percent of the participants, from wherever I got this information from, chose it as their favourite colour. Is gray a negative metaphor for the internet in this case?

Ok so let's flip it. What about the gray power-suit? The industrial gray? The the tonal subtlety of natural stone, gray? The practical, simple and reliable, gray? The neutral, calm and soothing, gray? The gray that I have come to know and love! Or is that gravy? 

I feel like I have gone off topic here. So to reel it back in, I must say, Nicholas Carr must be working with colour psychologists to create two schools of thought here. Internet = bad; internet = good. If we were to read the colour blue, in contrast to it's gray counterpart, one might sway towards internet = bad; the shallows = good. What on earth is the shallows?

I need to read this book ASAP to see what all the fuss is about. 


No comments:

Post a Comment