Saturday 5 October 2013

Day 21: Puppet: An Essay on Uncanny Life by Kenneth Gross


Today for inspiration I did one of my favourite things to do. Oh yeah I did. I chose a describing word and then put it before, "book" and search-engined it. I chose the word "gross." Yes, that old chestnut. This immediately came up and immediately struck at the judge-strings.

This is one hell of a creepy book cover. So simple, so clean, yet so creepy. And no it's not because of Kenneth's unfortunate last name. Poor chap. It's because of the werd Puppet. And because it's on sticks. And because it's somehow made to look shady. And because puppets are so damn shady! Or is that clowns? No, it's both.

The connotations that I have of puppets include the words: manipulative, hollow, and soulless. That does not make for an ideal anything. Although if this is a horror story, which I would not liken with the title (uncanny is a kewl werd), it would fit. Because you know what, this book cover looks like a ghosty story you'd tell on a school camp in the tents before bed time.

But what is, an Essay on an Uncanny Life, all about? A puppet's autobiography? What a kick in the arse.



No comments:

Post a Comment