Saturday 9 November 2013

Day 56: Cunt: A Declaration of Independence by Inga Muscio



When I first saw this book on my flatmates bedside table I literally did a double-take. Yes you are seeing it correctly. Does it make you feel a little bit uncomfortable as well? Softening the word-in-question with a sunflower and bright blue sky backdrop does not lessen the blunt in the slightest. Hmm am I going to be able to access this blog post at work...

Nevertheless Inga Muscio must be happy by the reaction that punches through. How great! All you have to do is find a something that has some of the worst connotations known to man, chuck it on a canvas, and voila there's a head-turning piece of art.

If only it were that easy. All I really get from this is an overbearing, bra-burning, shaved head of a Birkenstock screaming down my throat. I know issues like feminism have come a long way in recent decades and stereotypes are hastily being broken down. But are we now trying to get our issues across by "swearing" at our audiences? I thought the shock tactic died out. Or am I an 84-year-old stuck in a 24-year-old body?

I readily admit that I have no idea what's behind this book. It could be a gardening book for all I know. Just saying what comes to mind. Over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment